Monday, March 26, 2012

The best laid plans...

This is the first school holiday in almost three years that we are staying home.  And I feel like a kid in a candy store!  Usually holidays are spent traveling, sight-seeing, shopping, exploring, visiting family.  One huge rush to do as much as is humanly possible in a relatively small amount of time.  What a relief to wake up knowing I don’t have to do anything or go anywhere.  I can devote my holiday to working on my new book and do some marketing of my others.

During term time I only get to work on my writing over weekends.  During the week I am just too exhausted by the time I get home, so that also means for the past couple of years marketing has been on the back-burner and a bit of an afterthought.  But this holiday, as I am not going anywhere, I can spend almost three weeks marketing and writing to my heart’s content.  Herein lies the problem.  Remember the kid in the candy store?  What should I work on first?  Decisions, decisions.  And of course I do want to slot in an exercise program as well.  Gosh this is getting hard.  Maybe I should have gone away for the holiday after all!

The holiday did get off to a poor start with a terrible head cold knocking me sideways for the first three days.  However, today I am motivated, working on character sketches for my next novel, Hush Baby, as well as thinking about this Guide to living with Dementia I want to write as well.  About seven years ago I worked nights and weekends at a Dementia Care Unit.  It was one of the saddest experiences of my life.  Intelligent, previously active people, who had regressed to diapers and baby-talk.  Very few family members ever came to visit them, I guess it was just too hard to see their loved ones like that.  The patients or clients at the unit seemed to spend their waking moments waiting.  Waiting for meals, to be dressed, for their medication, for the TV to be switched on, or just generally waiting for something, anything to happen.  My Dementia Guide is going to be called Waiting for the Angels.

C U @ 8 was released recently and is now available on Amazon as a Kindle edition and as a paperback.  Sigh, I guess I’d better start marketing.  This is the problem us Indie authors face.  Your writing time is limited, and you have to use some of it for marketing.  Very frustrating.  But hey, I have an almost three week holiday to get some of it done!  What should I start with first?  Maybe I need to make a plan…
http://www.amazon.com/C-U-8-ebook/dp/B007N60QAI/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1332756700&sr=1-1

No comments: