David S. Grant is the author of ten books including “Corporate Porn”, “Bleach|Blackout”, “Hollywood Ending”, and “Rock Stars”. His latest novel, “Blood: The New Red”, is now available. David lives and writes his weekly rock, travel, and NBA columns from New York City. For more information go to http://www.davidsgrant.com Twitter: @david_s_grant
Where to Find Inspiration to Write? by David S. Grant
Inspiration can come from anywhere at any time, but sometimes we need a little push or refresher on where to look. Here are a few places I find inspiration for my stories.
1. Read books, you may find a topic, scene, or author style you like. It’s okay to be inspired by another author’s style if you make it your own.
2. Where do you live? There are stories around every corner regardless of how urban or rural your area of dwelling may be.
3. Take a trip, it doesn’t have to be far away, get away for a day. I have not had one travel experience that couldn’t be turned into a Fear and Loathing type story.
4. The workplace. There’s a reason why everyone says, “You should come to my work, and you’ll get plenty of stories.”
6. Do something. Anything. Go out for a slice of pizza, or just a drive. Clear your mind with fresh air and let the ideas and experiences come to you.
7. Talk to people, get their stories. Stories breed stories, then if fiction, embellish as needed. I wouldn’t advise embellishment with non-fiction, but if you have no fear of lawsuits, please, carry on!
8. Television or maybe even commercials. What happens after the actor eats his Whopper? Maybe a rock band shows up with a bottle of tequila and stand on tables celebrating a show. Maybe there is a girl working the register that is a fan, quits on the spot, removes her shirt, and starts stripping for the band…you never know. There is a story EVERYWHERE you look!
9. Think about your fantasies. (Even if for fantasy involves a Burger King cashier stripping.)
10. Write about what you know. We all have unique lives, maybe you can find inspiration there.
You never know when inspiration is going to hit you so always make sure you have a place to log your ideas. Once it’s gone, it’s gone. You don’t want to lose your idea for a best seller!